Saturday, April 7, 2012

Careful- high voltage!

They had just purchased
My lot of overstocked handyman stuff
Collected over the years,
        strewn haphazardly
In & beyond the old tilting shed.
ABS, PVC, gutters, buckets of fittings.
A contractor & friend.
After the negotiation and a deposit,
We leaned on his truck
And reminisced together
Our years in the trades.
"If I had to do it over again
I woulda been an electrician"
I offered.
"Of course I've been shocked once in awhile,
But what 'sparky' has not?"
His friend, Damon by name,
Chuckled, then added,
"Well, I knew a poor fellow
Working on a high rise in Frisco
Walked by some 440 stubbed
Out of the wall, got shocked alright,
Threw him onto the safety net below.
He survived,
But he was burned real bad
Across the shoulders,
And it messed up his brain,
Couldn't put thoughts together
The way you like to.
Oh, he got compensated alright,
Something like half a million,
But his heart was affected too
And after several years had a heart attack
And that was it"

No comments:

Post a Comment